- In order to limit the applied voltage to the motor a motor starter transformer with the voltage tapping of 50%,60% and 80% of nominal voltage is connected to the motor
- With the auto transformer starting ,the line current is always less than the motor starting current since the motor is connected on the secondary side of the transformer
- If the motor is connected to 50% tapping of the transformer the motor current will be reduced to 50% of nominal current value
- Most of the motors are connected with 65% of line voltage. If the torque of the motor is not sufficient a high torque can be achieved with 80% tapping of the transformer.
- Similarly if more torque is applied to the load with 65% tapping the torque can be reduced to 50%.